[VC Walcot] Mid June Club Update

VC Walcot vc_walcot at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 08:18:33 EDT 2012

Morning All,
Lots going on at the moment so I thought I'd put something in writing to keep you all up-to-date.
With Bath Cycle Races over and the post series meeting also wrapped up there's now some time to look ahead to the rest of the summer. Firstly some club housekeeping.
Membership CardsBy now all 2012/13 members will have received a membership card. Aside from providing discounts at local bike shops (http://www.vc-walcot.com/MembFAQs) the card provides space for an emergency contact name and number to be included on the back. This feature is intended to provide our club Ride Leaders, plus also anybody else who steps forward to lead a ride on a Sunday, with information should an emergency occur. In all the years we've been leading rides these occurrences are very rare but nevertheless I would ask all of you to carry your membership card with you when out riding with the club on a Sunday Group Ride.
Summer All-Dayer - Sunday July 1st - Meet 9am at Society Cafe Kingsmead Square for prompt 0930 start  It's always good to ride all day with a group and cover a distance that you wouldn't necessarily do on your own. Therefore, I've resurrected the Bath-Clevedon-Ride we did a few years ago http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/summer-all-dayer-2012 The idea is to meet at a central location for a pre-ride caffeine hit and then head off towards the Mendips and onwards to the coast. The ride is 73 miles in total (42 out and 31 back), it's a really good route and the return leg features the long but very picturesque climb up Brockley Combe which is usually to far out of reach for a normal Sunday ride. We'll have a lunch stop in Clevedon so please make sure you bring enough drink and food to get you over the 42 miles to Clevedon. Because of the distance and time required we will ride the route at a decent pace (akin to a standard group ride) but with the aim to keep the group together at all times to ensure a good tempo. We will of course wait at the top of climbs but push on once the final rider has crested the top. If you've been out riding regularly with us then this will be no problem but please familiarise yourself with the route if you are planning to come along. It's probably now also a good time to get a 'day pass' organised if you need one!
Club Track Session - Newport Velodrome - Sunday 2nd Sept 1800-2100 - £15 ppThis session has now been confirmed by the Velodrome so I can start looking to fill the spaces. We need 20 riders to make the session work so that 10 riders can be on the track at any one time. It doesn't matter if you've not been on the track before either as we have a British Cycling coach booked to guide us through the session. Cost per person is £15 which covers exclusive track hire and the coach. Track bike hire (£7.20) is not included in the price but this can be paid on the day at the Velodrome. Club members get first refusal to fill the spaces before I open it up to associates. If you want to grab yourself a place then please email enquiries at vc-walcot.com asap. I will then be in contact regarding payment. There are some Velodrome stipulations you need to keep in mind:All riders must wear a helmet and cycling mitts (no kit, no ride)If you want to ride 'clipped in' then you'll need Look Delta cleats.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-delta-cleats/ You cannot use your own pedals.Otherwise suitable footwear should be used with toe clipsClose fitting clothing should be worn ie. bibshorts and jerseyBring plenty of drink and snacks to cover the 3hrsIt's very dry and warm in the Velodrome and you can get thirsty pretty quicklyIt's great fun, you won't regret it!
Bike Bath Opening Event - Friday 22nd June, 7pm (featuring Graeme Obree amongst other guest speakers)We have an invite from the Bike Bath organisers to come along to the opening evening. Entry in the form of a charity donation will be be £5 each. http://www.bikebath.co.uk/events/what-to-expect-on-day/ If we have enough people interested I can reserve us a table with Richard the organiser. Please email me lauriechalk at googlemail.com if you'd like to come. Please don't reply to this email.
The offer of free entry to one of the sportives still stands in return for some marshalling help. Email jd at bikebath.co.uk if you're interested.
Bath Cycling Summit - Friday 22nd June - 0930-1330 - RUH Conference CentreNot a club specific thing but the yearly summit is taking place on Friday. Organised by Bath Cycle Campaign it provides a good insight into what is going on locally in terms of cycling related infrastructure, cycle networks and plans for the coming year. You can register your interest here http://bathcyclingsummit.org.uk/