BathMTB: Wet Wednesday... Good luck to the 'skinny' riders and Farewell to the Packhorse :-(

Andy Stewart analogueandy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 9 12:01:19 EDT 2012

Could it be the first no-show (in a long while)??

Good luck Justin, Tavis (and Steve? And Tony??). Feeling cr at p today so unlikely to make it down. Go steady in the rain.

Some really sad news about the Packhorse today :-(
Statement from The Packhorse Inn

" Punch Taverns, the owners of the Packhorse Inn, have been trying to sell the freehold of the pub for the past 2 months. We understand that there has been considerable interest from a variety of parties. We knew that, once the pub had been sold, that we would have to move on.

We were informed by Punch, by text message, last weekend that the sale was almost completed and that we would have to vacate the premises by Tuesday 15th of May. Whilst this caused us personally considerable heartache it was to be expected. Landlords come and go and life goes on. Whatever happens to the pub we will be leaving next Tuesday. However our last day of trade will be this coming Sunday.

Subsequent to the text from Punch we have met the new owner of the building. We understand from him that it is not his intention that the Packhorse continues trading as a pub and that he is hoping to use the building for commercial offices/residential.

We are still tenants of Punch Taverns and therefore it would be inappropriate for us to comment upon this as " The Packhorse Inn".

We know that the word is out and there is a great deal of concern amongst villagers, regulars and those who believe that institutions such as The Packhorse should remain as a community asset. We wish them luck in whatever action that may wish to take forward. More information can be found by coming to the pub and speaking with those concerned individuals.

So, we have until Sunday. We hope that you might take some time to visit the pub, perhaps for the final time during this week. There are plans for a rather large party this coming Sunday"