[VC Walcot] Revised Group Ride Route for Sunday 22/7

Andy Stewart analogueandy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 13:30:19 EDT 2012

Firstly, a massive 'thank you' to everyone who's submitted comments in support of the 'Odd Down' cycle track planning application (especially Jonathan for all that he's done and Laurie for getting himself in the 'Chron'!).

The formal consultation period ended yesterday (20th August) and, as of today, an incredible 209 comments in support have been registered on the B&NES Website. I understand that might set a record!

That support has attracted wide attention: from British Cycling (including Bradley Wiggins father-in-law Dave Cockram who is the project lead), Sport England, the other clubs and B&NES officers and Councillors - it will help greatly, not only with planning but with when it comes to funding and other negotiations too.

There are plenty more hurdles to jump but I jokingly said to BC that we should start planning which Olympic Champion (or Champions!) we should get to open it for us and the answer was "we are sure something could be arranged"!

My main reason for writing is connected to that: as many know I had a major 'off' at the end of March and have been off the bike since then, as a result that and my (continued!) love of cycling, it was an honour and privilege to be chosen to take part in a relay carrying the Paralympic Flame at the head of a carnival procession in Bath this coming weekend.

I will be carrying the flame a short distance (approx 250m) at 2pm from Pulteney Bridge to near the Abbey.

I'm so pleased to have been chosen. Cycling is experiencing such an incredible year and cycling is one of the main sports to welcome and integrate disabled competitors. Team GB won an astonishing 20 cycling medals at the Paralympics in Beijing - 17 gold and three silver. 10 registered disabled competitors, including Team GB Paralympic Champions from Bejiing, Sarah Storey and Simon Richardson, took part in the Rudy Project National Time Trial Series event that Bath CC organised in 2010.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to wear my own kit, or ride a bike (!), but I would be honoured if fellow VC Walcot members would like to join me on Pulteney Bridge so that we can all be pictured when I take on the flame. (If you wanted to join the procession afterwards I've been warned that the roads will be closed and officially that might mean people will have to walk pushing their bike!).

That's: 2pm, Saturday Pulteney Bridge (outside of the Dorothy House shop to be precise).

Kind regards,

Andy Stewart