BathMTB: Hello! Paralympic Flame Saturday and email from Liam

Andy Stewart analogueandy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 09:35:38 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Hope everyone is good  Not been keeping up with email at all over the last month so have lost track a bit.

Did a scaled down 'Summer Social' at our place at the weekend. Apologies to those who couldn't make it, especially due to the short notice, but thanks to those who did. Good to see you

I don't know if Justin or Dave (or John!) have written an Olympics Ride / Spectator Report yet??? If not I'll get around to it at some point :-) Anyway, you'll probably all know by now that sole Team GB Rider Liam Killeen crashed out. We saw him ride a 'warm up lap' with his coach and he got some fantastic support. He was gridded in 32nd and rode and amazing first lap taking 10 places. He was riding strongly, heading for Top 10 at least, giving it everything.. and then he crashed on one of the tech descents - Deane's Drop. We had an uncomfortable view of him being attended to. Turns out he broke his ankle badly, it had to be pinned and he had a bone graft.

Anyway, I sent him an email on behalf of all of us to tell him we were proud of him and to stay strong. Just to prove what an amazing guy he is, he's only gone and found the time to reply! Email below:

Whilst I'm on... I've somehow got nominated to carry the Paralympic Flame in Bath this Saturday as part of a relay through town.

My 'leg' starts on Pulteney Bridge at 2pm. It would be absolutely fantastic if anyone could make it. I'm not allowed to take my bike and have to wear the 'corporate' kit but it would be great to get a picture with some of you guys with kit and bikes.

I've also got a stack of tickets for the evening event on the Rec too if anyone needs any.

I will try and get down to the Pig tomorrow night for a pint (of coke - still not allowed alcohol!) if the weather is ok. (About 9ish?).

Like I said, I'm not checking emails very regularly, best to give me a ring if you need to get in touch, plus my mobile is playing up so home no is 01225 424905.

Cheers!

Andy