BathMTB: Ride Report

BOYD Kevin Kevin.Boyd at uk.thalesgroup.com
Thu Aug 9 03:49:43 EDT 2012

This summer just seems to keep getting better and better, or should that be wetter and wetter. Three brave soles arrived for a ride Abi, Kevin and Justin on a very clean Yeti.....he would soon regret that.

Kevin was keen to do a Wellow/MSM loop so off we headed with 2 caveats; Justin wanted to be back for 9pm and Abi had no lights. A big ask for a Wellow loop which in the past has seen us arriving after 10pm.

Off we headed, won't bore you all with the details you know the route, as soon as we hit dirt progress slowed, lots of run off and real deep sloppy mud. Made good time over to Hinton Charterhouse Justin stopping to chase skinny birds (the feathered king) through the grass, he even caught it, sorry looking thing was soaked through and not looking its best, we debated making camp and eating it but thought better of it. Almost lost Justin as he raced on and took a wrong turn through in Cleaves Wood; the stream at the bottom of Baggeridge was running much deeper than usual so we took the bridge, we've has so much flood it's starting to undermine the footings of the narrow bridge causing the steps to sink !

On wards to Baggerige Farm and the bizarre sight of a deer's severed foreleg lying in the path, glad to say we never found the rest of the poor creature. By now it was 8.30, so we went right out of baggeridge farm and dropped down to Wellow up does it hurt yet hill and over to South Stoke via Hodshill, which Abi really enjoyed. Packhorse all closed up, we couldn't stop so our only choice was a blast down Entry Hill back into Bath 9.10...........

Hopefully it may dry up a touch by next week.

Kevin Boyd CEng
Information and Cyber Security IA Consultant
National Security and Resilience
Defence & Security C4I Systems
Thales UK
230 Bristol Business Park, The Close, Bristol BS16 1FJ
www.thalesgroup.com<http://www.thalesgroup.com>
 Mob: +44 (0) 7891602084
e-mail: kevin.boyd at uk.thalesgroup.com<mailto:kevin.boyd at uk.thalesgroup.com>