[VC Walcot] Summer riding in the Pyrenees

Peter Giddings honed_coaching at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 12:47:41 EST 2010

Hello everyone,

On a day when sleet and grey clouds might have kept you from turning the pedals, I bring you some welcome fodder for day dreaming. A ride called the Devil's Pitchfork over sun drenched French roads...

I have arranged with Pyractif to run a weeks trip to visit them in the Haute Pyrenees this May with the view to ride some big climbs, recce the Etape route and enjoy some early season sunshine. The date set is May 29th to June 6th (Sat to Sat) so you've plenty of time to enjoy the fitness you'll bring back over the rest of the Summer. And it will only cost you 515 Euro plus some flights.

The large farm house we'll be staying in is in Bertren 20km from Bagniere de Luchon which is hosting not one but two stages of the Tour de France this year. Chris and Helen will be hosting and they're fantastic at making you feel at home and serve up 7 hearty breakfasts and 5 tasty local dinners suitable for a hungry cyclists. On their evening off, they'll ferry us to and from a great local restaurant for a bit of regional cuisine. The house is fitted out to a high standard so you and your bike can be comfortable and well maintained, hot tub, workshop and brilliantly comfy lounge make it the perfect base to ride from.

There are two options for the week so that anyone who comes will get the most from the trip whatever their level. As its me, they'll also be a little competition thrown into the mix for those who feel like it.

Option 1-for the experienced mountain goat:
You'll recce the entire route of the Etape du Tour over the first two days with vehicle support and transfers to and from the course, climbing the Marie Blanc and Col du Soulor on the first day before tackling the Tourmalet on the second. After those two days you'll rejoin the main group for an easy day of rolling valleys before building up (including a mountain TT just for fun) ready for Fridays Devil's Pitchfork epic...

Option 2 - for everyone else:
You'll find your climbing legs over the first two days, building up from 3rd, 2nd and 1st cat climbs before tackling the HC climbs later in the week. We'll also do some easy skills sessions so that you know how best to tame mountain and can get the most from the rides later in the week. An easy day Wednesday will lead you into the TT on Thursday (you can spectate if you would rather) then comes the piece de resitance, the Devils Pitchfork...

Chris has found 5 routes which all centre on Luchon to test the mettle of any cyclist. Whether you are building for the Marmotte or the Etape or just want a great day in the mountains riding this will be a fantastic challenge.

Backstedt Level: 108km climbing 2060m including Col de Portillon and the HC Super Bagneres
Wiggins Level:    136km climbing 3000m adding the Peyresourde
Armstrong Level: 182km climbing 3930m 4 cols including the infamous Port de Bales
Coppi Level:       194km climbing 4400m 5 cols notching up the Hospice de France too
Mercx Level:       212km climbing 5000m extended version for fullly devilish experience

All the rides start together and centre on Luchon so we'll arrange a base so everyone can meet for coffee/lunch/a nap throughout the day. This will be a great way to end a week of riding no matter whether you're training on the Etape recce or enjoying some amazing roads with the laughing group, it'd be great if some Walcotters could makie it along.

If you are interested then get in touch with myself or Chris on pyractif at gmail.com ASAP. Be quick though as half the spaces are already taken!

See you all on the club run soon.

Pete