BathMTB: RR

BOYD Kevin Kevin.Boyd at uk.thalesgroup.com
Thu Nov 22 03:26:12 EST 2012

Two fool hardy people turned up for possibly the wettest ride for a number of years. Both Kevin and Justin agreed after the down pours earlier in the day to have a nice steady lanes ride avoiding water.  So guessing no one else would arrive we headed off up Lyncombe Hill and on to the Wellsaway up towards Dave's, having gained all that height we lost in again as we blasted down Combe Hay Lane all the small water courses we passed were now roaring torrents. Having lost all our height we then had to climb back up the other side of Combe Hey Lane and then drop down to Wellow. At this point Kevin suggested popping down to see if the ford at the very bottom of Wellow was in flood, in flood was really an under statement as the water marker indicated the water was 3.5 feet above the road and probably about 5 feet it's normal height. So with that bit of fun over we climbed back up Mill Hill then all the way up Twin Hoe Lane to once again loose all our high as we descended again for the only off road bit down a horribly wet track with several slips and spills, the river at the bottom was so high it was brushing the bottom of the small bridge, not wishing to be carried away we pressed on to arrive at South Stoke. We kept to the road for one final climb up Hodshill, past The Pack Horse for the run back into town. As we set off I though that would take us a good 2 hours especially with 4 big hills, we must have gone pretty fast as we were back in Bath for 8.10. More wet weather to come today, with high winds may well be some trees down.

No me next week I'm stuck in London all week.

Kevin