BathMTB: Re: MTB Bath

Andy Stewart analogueandy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 20 07:02:34 EDT 2012

Hi Abi,

Yep. There's a regular Weds night ride, 6.30pm from Claverton St, Widcombe - on the gravel island between the two ped crossings, over the footbridge behind Bath Spa railway station.

Group size about 6-10. We ride for about 3 hours, about 30km-ish reasonably quick pace but 'social' - ie. ride hard up the climbs at your own pace but everyone waits and re-groups regularly. Occasionally a pub stop near the end.

Sounds like you are already but I normally say "you'll need to be reasonably fit and ideally have some off-road experience".

"Heavily testosterone driven"?? :-) I know what you mean and hopefully "no". One of the ideas behind Weds nights has always been to make them open to everyone.  The group has always been 'mixed' and we have women who regularly ride with us - until recently Aileen rode with us almost every week but at the moment she's back in South Africa,

Having said all that... there's a slight problem at the moment (!) as I'm currently off the bike - had a 'off' 7 weeks ago that left me with a fractured spine so it'll be a while yet before I'm back on... Plus a few of our 'regulars' are riding on the road on Weds nights at the moment taking part in the May circuit races around Victoria Park. And another of our 'regulars', Dave, is stuck for a babysitter on Weds for a few weeks.
..
So.. there;s an email list which I'm copying this to. People normally email Weds afternoons if they are planning to ride and we''ll let you know. There's a Facebook group too.

Hope that helps... and hope to see you out sometime

Cheers

Andy