BathMTB: RR

BOYD Kevin Kevin.Boyd at uk.thalesgroup.com
Thu Jul 26 05:02:14 EDT 2012

All

After a pretty sorry summer so far it appears we had a good day at last, so I think it's worthy of a long over due ride report.

With my cars thermometer reading a toasty 28 degrees I headed of to the meet point expecting only Myself, John and Dave. I'm not often pleased to be wrong but by 6.30 we also had Rich, Justin (happy birthday and happy dad) Simon (the real Big Bird) and Charlie. Even Steve popped by to say hello, wrist is still not 100% but he's getting there and has a very impressive scar.

So the weapon of choice was Brown's mainly down to the fact a number of people, me included, had no front lights so we wanted to be back before dark. Off along the canal which was very busy, to the level crossing, over the fields for the first of a few sights that evening of young ladies with very little clothing on pushing their bikes up past the gas pipe.

Up towards browns we re-grouped by the new sty and chatted briefly with a couple of roadies, one of whom was trying to make it up the steep section of road on an SS. We gave him some choice words of encouragement, but he could not manage it.

On wards up browns which is still a little damp, Charlie, Dave and Kev at the rear, Charlie gets a flat. While fixing it Charlie is bent double trying to get the tyre back on when a dog calmly walks over and has a good sniff of Charlie's butt then sticks its head between Charlie's legs so they meet nose to nose. Scares the live out of Charlie and has Dave in tears laughing....

Tyre sorted we are off again for the descent, again still muddy in parts and very dark due to so much growth of trees etc, with BIG nettles a plenty. Speeding down we actually meet 'the others' coming up. Sally in the woods is next, again dark and muddy in places. Onto the canal for a snack and we decide to take in Sha&&ers for a change, second pleasant sight of the evening as we climb a lovely young lady with low cut top rides by. Any one would think it's summer.

Down Sha&&ers and on to the steps, by now all hot and tired only three of us clear it. With dark catching us up we pushed on to the Uni, Rich opting to take us down the far side. By now under the trees it was time for lights so those with them powered them up. Last descent done we rolled back into town for a quick one at the Pig. A few more like that and I will feel summer has finally arrived.

Kevin