BathMTB: Wednesday Mud'fest

Boyd, Kevin Kevin.Boyd at uk.thalesgroup.com
Thu Dec 1 05:50:19 EST 2011

A pretty good show given the weather, 5 hardy people Kevin, Justin, Aileen,
Tav and new boy Malcolm (Tav's mate) arrived and left at the dully appointed
hour to take on a loop of Lansdown. An action packed ride to say the least
with HUGE amounts of sh!t, mud, slop, puddles and slime. The decent to North
Stoke was sloppy as usual, we opted to skip Swineford and headed up the
equally sloppy climb up to the golf course at Lansdown, as we neared the top
Tav's bike developed a flat at which point Tav confessed to having no spare
tubes. We sorted out the issue and the suspiciously flat rear too with a
blast of air and moved on getting very lost in the little wood, going round
for what felt like miles.

Over the road and on the sloppy descent of Langridge people were a slip'en
and a slide'en everywhere. Poor Kevin and Malcolm were being shaken to bits
on fully rigids. At the bottom of Tadwick hill Tav finally admitted defeat
with his second flat of the evening, so Justin kindly gave up his life
preserving spare tube for Tav. A quick change and some air, then more air
and more air; Tav had somehow holed the new tube; "Go on with out me" cries
Tav. BathMTB never leave a man behind (unless the pratt has come out with no
tubes). So Kevin offers up his extra thick slimer to solve the problem.

Quick blast up Tadwick has Chris suffering, on to the A46 to try out
Justin's new 'assertive riding technique'.........sadly Justin won't be
joining us again.......:-)

Over the air field to mumbles of 'Bloody cyclists' from one of the 'yocals',
we pressed on before he came after us with his gun, through the large group
of frisky bullocks and on to the final decent a very sloppy Shank's . We had
not even got past the little cottage when Aileen fell, a quick pause and we
lined up again out of the five of us 3 crashed, Aileen and myself twice
each, I even managed to fall whilst walking. However Chris had the stack of
the evening with a major front roll over the bars, nasty landing and a bit
shaken up. Shanks lives up to its name again.

So cold, muddy and bruised we headed back into town, glad only that the
forecast rain never arrived. Justin headed off as did Aileen. So Kevin, Tav,
Chris and Malcolm went for a quick one in the pig. Chris stripped off and
showed us the very nasty looking swelling on his knee. Then the rain finally
arrived p!ssing down and cold we were all glad of those outside heaters I
can tell you.

Curry next week......

Kevin

Kevin Boyd